The Finnish Terminology Centre
The Finnish Terminology Centre (Sanastokeskus ry) offers information on and expert services related to terminology work, classification work, ontology work and concept modelling work for various target groups. The Terminology Centre's activities are grounded in thorough mastery and development of the theory of terminology and the practical methods based on it. The Finnish Terminology Centre (until 2004, the Finnish Centre for Technical Terminology, Tekniikan Sanastokeskus ry, and until 2021 The Finnish Terminology Centre TSK, Sanastokeskus TSK ry) is an association founded in 1974. Its main goals are to produce terminologies and ontologies containing Finnish and Swedish as well as to develop methods for terminology work and maintain the knowhow needed in terminology work. As an independent expert body, the Terminology Centre cooperates not only with its members but also with other communities interested in terminology – for example, with the Institute for the Languages of Finland, Nordic terminology organisations, standardisation bodies, and EU institutions. The Terminology Centre’s activities include
- the analysing and defining of concepts for the needs of terminology work, classification work, ontology work and concept modelling work
- consulting in terminology and ontology work
- communications related to terminology and ontology work
- a reference library specialised in dictionaries, terminological glossaries and vocabularies
- the development of methods for terminology work and ontology work and providing training in these methods
- international cooperation in the field of terminology.